Puppy & Junior Introductory Scent Course
The dog’s sense of smell is the best asset. Yet we don’t use it as we should and some classes and courses focus on obedience & agility too much. Some dogs may not enjoy obedience as it’s not a natural exercise and is very disciplined. For scent work, we can use obedience and use the dog’s innate ability to search for practicing off-leash work or long-line work. At the same time, you’re socialising your dog and working with the dog.
In this course, we look at a variety of topics that you can easily do with your dog with the correct know-how and guidance. We cover:
- Man trailing.
- Scent work
- Kong detection work on the focus wall.
- Obedience and socialisation.
- Introduction to new scents for mental stimulation.
This is a course if you like to learn new skills and build up your dog’s potential.
1 in stock (can be backordered)
(3 places available now).
To teach the owner how to use their dog’s nose and keep them stimulated throughout their development.
– Demonstrate the dog’s innate ability to scent.
– Explain & demonstrate how to implement marker training for scent imprinting
– Explain & demonstrate indication development on a focus area.
– Outline methods of training the dog to search.
– Explain & demonstrate what a scent pad is?
– Demonstrate how to handle a dog on a 100-meter track.
– Explain & demonstrate how to teach your dog to do man trailing using a scent article and runaway
– Demonstrate obedience and environmental training.
- – Equipment needed
– Types of scents to train your dog on.
- Methods of scent imprinting:
- Scent pads
- Scent recognition
- Indication training & development
- Man trailing introduction:
- Scenting item
- Scent discrimination exercises
- Environmental training
- Clicker training
- Setting goals
- Week 2 – Tracking/trailing/air scenting
o Air scenting.
- Indication development
- Scent discrimination training:
o Introduction to other scents
o Boxes & Luggage.
o Ball reward vs food reward.
o Ball and roll method.
– Focus wall training
– Kong activity games to teach other disciplines.
– Obedience to scent work
– Marker training to help build up indication work
– Introduction to 2 leg tracks and trails.
– Finding the kong in a focus wall, area, vehicles & box
– Track/trail 1- 3 legs
– Basic Obedience
– Marker training drills including clicker work
– Scent work equipment